(07) 3735 5902 or 0474 111 676 admin@yarranlea.qld.edu.au

Yarranlea History

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

Yarranlea Primary School began life in 1883 when it opened as Hermitage Provisional School at Yarranlea.

The current school building was constructed in 1888 after the community raised sufficient funds. In 1890 the name changed to Yarranlea State School.

The school closed at Yarranlea in 1977 after serving the farming district near Pittsworth for 95 years.

In 1979 the historic building was moved to the Mount Gravatt College of Advanced Education (later Griffith University) and, located in what is now a car park was used as a museum display school.

In 1987, thanks to the determination of education faculty academics Dr. Geoffrey Orr and Dr. Phil Meade, Old Yarranlea State School began classes, but only after the building was relocated once more to its current site.

In 2004 the school building was included on the Brisbane City Council Heritage Register.

In December 2013, the State School was closed.

With support from school families and the wider community, Yarranlea Primary School, now an independent school, opened in July 2014.

On ANZAC Day 2015 a memorial was dedicated to former Yarranlea Primary School students who lost their lives.